The digital media have undergone an unprecedented transformation in recent years by exploiting the combined communicative potential of interaction and visualisation, generating, in this way, new narrative forms and journalistic stories. But this is not something that can be analysed in isolation.
Understanding the digital media requires addressing the study of interactive texts and the platforms of the digital ecosystem from different perspectives. The digital media today have highly permeable boundaries, the guidelines that define them being subject to constant modification: their texts are dynamic and constantly changing, their systems operate, thanks to artificial intelligence, as just another actor that analyses, collects and manages information.
The space separating senders and receivers of messages has become fuzzy and interwoven. For this reason, the study of digital journalism has to assume this unremitting transformation as simply one more element in the debate about the media, and accept it as a characteristic of the digital culture that defines the field of communication.
Digital journalism, visualisations, interactive narratives, SEO, journalism, journalistic innovation.
View or download the book
[Note: each chapter can be downloaded as a separate document]
- Visualisations and narratives in digital media: An introduction
Pere Freixa, Lluís Codina, Mario Pérez-Montoro, Javier Guallar
- Analysis of interactivity in digital journalism
Gema Santos-Hermosa, Carlos Lopezosa, Lluís Codina
- Curation Analysis System (CAS): A method for analysing digital media content curation
Javier Guallar, Rafael Pedraza-Jiménez, Mario Pérez-Montoro
- From Memex to Google: The origin and evolution of search engines
Raquel Escandell-Poveda, Mar Iglesias-García, Natalia Papí-Gálvez
- Search engine optimisation in online journalism: A case study of the Grupo Joly media company
Carlos Lopezosa, Magdalena Trillo-Domínguez, Marga Cabrera, Lluís Codina
- Webdocs: Social interaction and transmedia
Pere Freixa, Carles Sora-Domenjó, Joan Soler-Adillon
- The expanded intimacy: Home movies transcend the media. Dad’s films, an art-practice-as-research project
- Image and video manipulation: The generation of deepfakes
Juan-José Boté-Vericad, Mari Vállez
- Visual communication in the management of a global health emergency